This is a simple and fragrant dish, inspired by oriental cuisine, which is eaten in my house for Dinner. I usually serve it with steamed and tossed crunchy green beans or asparagus. This was made with shrimps, so I am giving this recipe, but I usually make this stew with chicken instead of shrimps. Here’s the recipe……
Large shrimps – 10-12 pcs (you can also use boneless chicken cubes instead; you will need to sauté chicken pieces in a skillet on low heat, till cooked. Then follow the same procedure)
Water – 1 cup (for shrimps)
Carrot (chopped in desired shape) – 1 cup
Cauliflower (cut in small florets) – 1 cup
Zucchini (chopped in desired shape) – 1 cup
Capsicum (cut in 1” squares) – 1 cup
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
Lemon zest – ¼ tsp
Salt – as per taste
Black pepper powder – as per taste
Dried basil leaves (rubbed between palms) – as per taste
Arrowroot or tapioca starch – 2 tsp (dissolved in ½ cup water)
For the stock
Water – 1 litre
Bay leaf – 2 nos
Lemon grass stalk – 2 (chopped)
Ginger – 2”pc (julienned)
Green chili – 1-2 chopped (as desired)
1) To make the stock, add all the ingredients in a deep saucepan, bring to boil and then simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hr. Drain and discard the solids. Reserve stock for use in the stew.
2) De-vein and clean the shrimps, add 1 cup water and ¼ tsp salt. Bring to boil and then simmer for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and keep aside.
3) Cook the vegetables (except Capsicum) separately by steaming or in the microwave. Do not over cook, we need crunchy vegetables at this stage.
4) Heat a deep pan and add olive oil.
5) Add the vegetables and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
6) Add the shrimps along with its broth and mix.
7) Add the stock slowly till you get the desired amount of soup. You can reserve any remaining stock for use in some other gravy later.
8) Add salt to taste, basil and pepper powder.
9) Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes or till the vegetables and shrimps are done. Add capsicum and lemon zest in the last 5 minutes of simmering and mix well.
10) Add lemon juice and mix.
11) Add dissolved starch and mix well. Simmer for another 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
12) Serve hot!!
Please try and give me your feedback!