When I was young, my mother bought a Sumeet Mixie, with which came a recipe booklet. The mixie also had a meat mincer blade and hence there were many minced meat recipes in the booklet…….one of which was Meat loaf. That picture was always there in my mind till I finally made this chicken mince meat loaf. I was more attracted towards that boiled egg embedded in the loaf, which looked so very pretty!!
Meat loaf is not a regular Indian food, but the experiments of grain free meals, led me to this dish. I searched the net and found many recipes. I picked up ingredients and methods from various websites and finally created this……
Chicken mince – 600 gms (I usually wash chicken breast, pat dry, cut in smaller pieces and then mince in my food processor. I feel it is necessary to have low moisture in the raw mince mixture…..the loaf will come out juicier this way)
Almond meal (I grind at home) – 3/4 cup,
Raw eggs for mixing in the dough – 2 nos
Hard boiled eggs (the ones you see inside) – 3 nos
Whatever herbs you have at home….dried or fresh – I used dried parsley and rosemary
salt as per taste
spices I used:
garlic powder – 1/2 tsp
ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
Cloves powder – 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg powder – 1 pinch
cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
little olive oil for greasing and basting.
- Mix all the ingredients except boiled eggs and olive oil, to make the dough. Keep it covered in the fridge for at least 1 hr. Mix again thoroughly.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Centigrade, grease a baking dish, spread half of the mixture (4″ width approx) on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place hard boiled and peeled eggs, lengthwise, on the spread dough.
- Spread the rest of the dough on top and use greased hands to smoothen out and form a shape like a loaf.
- If you have space around the loaf, you can fill it with diced veggies of choice, and sprinkle salt, pepper and little olive oil.
- Bake this for approx 30 minutes and check with a toothpick for being done. Take out and let cool to room temp.
- Slice with a sharp knife and enjoy with ketchup, lots of raw salads and the baked veggies!!
This is our grain free dinner once in a while. If you are following BED, you can serve some cultured veggies along with this loaf too, so that it is digested well.