The best grain free breakfast that comes to my mind is Egg and vegetables. I try to vary the preparations so that my folks look forward to eating them. The usual proportions are 1 egg with 2 cups of vegetables. It is not rocket science, just a little creativity, which leads to good looking and tasting breakfast. Today I had made this stuffed Red bell pepper with stir fried Broccoli.
Egg – 1 no.
Red Bell pepper – 1 no.
Green peas (steamed) – 2 tbsp
Green beans (finely chopped)- 2 tbsp
Onion (Finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Crushed Black pepper – to taste
Dried Basil – 1 pinch
Broccoli florets – 1 cup, steamed till the colour changes to bright green
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Olive oil – 3 tsp
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a pan and add crushed garlic. Fry the garlic till it loses its rawness.
- Add steamed broccoli and stir fry on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and crushed black pepper, toss and remove from heat. Keep aside. I could have added a thick coconut cream sauce in it to make it tastier, but chose not to do that today and keep it rather simple!!!
- Cut the top of Red bell pepper, to make a bowl out f it.
- Remove seeds, sprinkle salt and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Chop the discarded portion of bell pepper and keep aside.
- Beat egg till fluffy and add little salt. Keep aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tsp oil in the same pan.
- Saute onion in it till it turns pink.
- Add steamed green peas, beans and chopped bell pepper. add little salt, Black pepper and basil.
- Saute till the veggies are done.
- Fill the veggies in the bell pepper bowl and pour the beaten egg into it.
- Cook in the microwave for 3-4 minutes or till the egg is fully cooked. You can also cook this in the steamer or oven, as you like it……
- Serve the stuffed bell pepper with Broccoli on the side. An all veggie smoothie could be a good drink to serve along, for a filling breakfast.
Many people do not like to cook in the microwave, but I do that once in a while as it saves lot of time. you may chose to use your oven instead!!!!