In my quest of learning Paleo dishes, I had bought several book written by various authors. In the lot there was a book called Amazing Paleo Diet recipes designed for kids, written by Shae Harper, which is my favorite. It has simple and doable recipes, which I like for my kid. He loves it when food is served in style but also loves Indian flavors!! Hence, I had to tweak the recipes a little bit, but believe me, they taste really yumm…
Here is an adaptation of the paleo casserole with my kid’s taste in mind……another variation of grain free, egg and veggies breakfast, served with a green smoothie. Although it uses a little bit of coconut milk and almond meal, I call it a BED compliant meal because the amounts of other proteins is way too less than the egg.
Eggs – 3 large
Coconut milk – 3 tbsp
Almond meal – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste
Dill leaves (dried) – 1 tbsp (optional; you can use finely chopped Coriander leaves instead)
Peeled and crushed garlic – 1 tsp
Peeled and minced Ginger – 1 tsp
Chopped vegetables of choice – 6 cups
Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp + for greasing the ramekins
- Beat eggs in a bowl, add coconut milk, almond meal, salt, pepper and dill leaves. Beat thoroughly and keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add ginger, garlic and saute. Add the vegetables and saute on medium low heat till cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste, mix and keep aside. You may add coriander leaves at this point.
- Preheat oven at 200 deg C. Grease the ramekins and scoop out the cooked and cooled veggies into them.
- Pour the egg mixture and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake at 200 deg C for 25-30 minutes, or till the top browns lightly.
- release the edges with the help of a sharp knife and flip over the serving plate.
The Green smoothie
Ingredients for 1 serving
Cucumber – 1 medium (peeled and chopped)
Baby spinach – 7-8 leaves (you can use any other leafy veggie too)
Celery – 2-3, 2″ sticks chopped
Mint leaves – 2 sprigs (leaves removed)
Apple Cider vinegar – 1 tsp
Sea salt – as per taste
Water – 1/2 cup
- Place everything in a high speed blender and blend till smooth.
- Serve with your favorite egg and veggie breakfast!!
You can also use a tomato in your smoothie and omit the apple cider vinegar, but I try to limit tomato, as it causes hyper acidity in my kiddo.