This is a simple green peas soup with very few ingredients. This is an alkaline soup, as it contains fresh green peas and coconut milk. you can vary the ingredients as you like….I am just giving a basic recipe here. I would like to use some sea vegetables like kombu in my stalk, so that the nutrient value would increase manifold. But sadly we do not get that in India. So I make these soups with whatever I get here.
Fresh Green peas (shelled) – 300 gm (You may also like to use other alkaline veggies as per your choice)
Water – ½ cup (for peas)
Salt – as per taste
Black pepper powder – as per taste
Coconut milk – 2 tbsp
Coconut cream as required for garnishing
Tapioca starch or arrowroot – 2 tsp (dissolved in ½ cup water)
For the stock
Water – 6 cup
Celery (chopped) – 1 cup
Cucumber – 1 small (chopped with skin)
Ginger – 1” pc (julienned)
Onion – 1 medium (chopped)
Garlic – 3 cloves (crushed)
Bay leaf – 1
1) For preparing the stock, add all the ingredients (under the heading) in a deep saucepan. Bring to boil and then simmer for an hour.
2) Remove from heat, cool, discard bay leaf and blend in a mixer. Strain and reserve the stock for use in the soup.
3) Add ½ cup water in peas and cook in a pan till done.
4) Cool and grind the peas to a fine paste, adding some of the stock little by little.
5) Add the remaining stock and peas paste together in a deep saucepan and bring to boil.
6) Add salt, pepper powder and starch, mix and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
7) Add coconut milk, mix and simmer for another minute.
8) Serve hot. Garnish the soup with coconut cream, once served in the bowl.
We love to drink this soup with dinner, as it quite filling and hence we tend to eat less of solid food. I have never used bone broth to make this soup, but if you are particular about bone broth with every meal, you may try making with that instead of veggie broth or stock.