This Buckwheat thing has become a staple in our family, perhaps due to the easy availability of this Gluten free flour here. Also, I feel you can make many varieties of breads, snacks etc as it is little sticky in nature and doesn’t crumble as a dough, like millet and Sorghum flours. Recently I tried these crackers and it was an instant hit. It tastes delicious with home made mayo or even Coconut yogurt dip.
Here’s my simple recipe…..
Buckwheat flour – 1 cup
Tapioca starch – 1/4 cup
Flaxseed powder – 1 tbsp
coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds – 2 tsp
Dried herbs and spices – as desired (I used dried parsley and garlic flakes; coarsely ground black pepper, and other spices also go well)
Salt – to taste
- Mix flour, salt and rub oil and ghee in it thoroughly.
- Add sesame seeds, herbs, spices and mix well.
- Sprinkle little warm water and form a hard dough. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Roll out 1-1.5 mm thick Rotis, cut with a serrated cutter or any plain pizza cutter, in desired size.
- Prick the cut pieces with fork and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 250 deg C and bake the crackers, on a cookie sheet, for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool inside the oven and serve with your favorite dip.
This is a healthy alternative to fried crunchy stuff which kids are very fond of these days, and also tastes very good. It can very easily be served to guests too, even if they are not gluten free!!